Thursday, April 11, 2019

Is self-efficacy fast or slow thinking?

At the end of the last class I was pretty convinced that what we call self-efficacy could be categorize in terms of slow thinking (system 2). But now that I am thinking more about it, I am not sure; I think I used the system 1 in my first opinion. I think that most of our thoughts, emotions, and behaviors associated with self-efficacy can be classified in system 1. But what could explain that? Based on the discussions in previous classes and my (limited) understanding of Kahneman’s work, my answer to that question is: our concrete experiences. In the first sessions we discussed about the relevance of the consequences of people’s behaviors in the formation of their self-efficacy, and why this form of learning is more effective than vicarious experience and verbal persuasion. 
So, when people behave in a particular way and, as consequence, they receive something that they expect (reinforcement), their self-efficacy is strengthened. But this experience also implies that people learn associations among events (this include emotions, behaviors, and thoughts) that take place during those experiences. As people are exposed to the same experiences because they become more self-efficacious, the learned associations among events are also be strengthened. Consequently, people’s future decision in similar context will be highly dominated by system 1. One of Kahneman’s examples could help me to illustrate what I am saying. If I ask you what the result is of 2 + 2? the answer comes to your mind immediately without think about it. In fact, you can “see” this math operation in your mind! But if I ask you what the result is of 345 X 56? The answer does not come to our minds immediately; most of us will use rules to find the solution. The first case happens not only because our memory capacity allows us to perform that kind of operation, but also because we have constantly been exposed to “2+2”, right? 

No comments:

Post a Comment