Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Surviving the world of Academia

As I was looking over the posts, I saw here I and thinking about the book I thought a lot about fast and low thinking and its role in academia.

I spent the past week at AERA in Toronto and sat in on may sessions, from round tables to symposia and paper sessions. I chose topics I was interested in, and as such had a certain level of intrinsic motivation to listen and understand what people were saying (it was a place for slow thinking). I was consciously trying to understand what people were saying and piece it into my understandings and my research interest. Yet I also found that quite often system one stepped up. I would instinctively, judge a paper a low quality, boring, or uninteresting, without really processing why, sometimes I knew right away what was wrong, what I didn't like. But other times, I had to wait for system two to kick in before really parsing out what I viewed as problematic. It was those initial judgments, system one, that allowed me to survive the conference. I could not have mentally managed five days of session after session with system two working on overdrive. I had to cut some things out, mentally ignore some stuff so that I could focus on others. 


This made me think a lot about academia as a whole, we are surrounded by new papers, new ideas, presentations of new work, and yet, we cannot mentally, or at least I cannot mentally process and use all of that information. It is my system one that instinctively tells me to ignore something, that work isn't worth reading because they made questionable methods choices, etc. that allows me to survive in this world. However, in academia, it is also system one that boxes us in, allows us to stay in our worlds, and trust our work and understanding sometimes more than we should. It seems to me that the thing that allows us to survive intense mental stimulation is also our downfall.

No comments:

Post a Comment