Thursday, April 4, 2019

My thoughts on relating “Thinking Fast and Slow” to Self-Efficacy

I was reflecting on Loretta’s post about Thinking Fast and Slow and I am confused as to how to link the two systems of thinking to self-efficacy, as I can think of multiple examples for each that don’t necessarily fit with one another.
For example, I would initially argue that the use of fast thinking such as fight or flight responses demonstrates high efficacy in those actions. It reflects the idea that your “gut reaction” to stimuli is the action that you would best accomplish. If I’m being chased by a tiger, I have higher self-efficacy in running away from the tiger than I do in fighting it, so I’m more likely to run (even though both actions might ultimately be futile). I also relate the concept of fast thinking to actions of proficiency or familiarity in certain tasks, i.e. the idea that someone knows a place or an action “like the back of their hand” and doesn’t have to ponder what to do for long. Such fast thinking may also demonstrate a sense of false self-efficacy; as Loretta’s 9-year old child demonstrates, it may be possible to dedicate so much energy to slow thinking that, with a false sense of high self-efficacy in one’s spatial awareness, one can inappropriately use fast thinking to move impulsively and accidentally knock things over.
I’m not sure, however, of the relationship self-efficacy has to slow thinking, as I can see it going in both directions. Taking the time to deliberately think through a situation and “problem solve” could be due to an individual’s lack of confidence/low self-efficacy in their ability to make snap judgements, but it could also be due to a desire to find true understanding of the situation and a high self-efficacy to do so. I’m excited to explore these connections further in class.

No comments:

Post a Comment