Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Dynamics of Self-efficacy and Collective Efficacy in different Contexts

Currently, I'm sitting at the Architecture library. Learning architecture design makes me think about the influences of different learning styles for different learners. I'm quite new to this field and constantly need to seek help from other classmates. It is the same feeling when I attended the statistic course in the first semester. I don't have much self-efficacy in these new areas even though I have a high value-expectancy on them. But to keep up with the courses, holding high value and motivation is not enough, I need to study with others and seek help from outside constantly. To some extent, this collective learning enhances my self-efficacy since I believe I could receive help even though there are many difficulties. But when I try to explore other questions within my proximal knowledge zone, I tend to study individually because I have the confidence to tackle the problem from books or websites. I still don't understand what collective efficacy mean, but I feel like the experiences of success in individual work and group work are different.

Beside learning academic subjects, people would also learn from other informal contexts, such as competitive sports, including football, basketball as well as computer games. I'm wondering the different collective efficacy in those various sports teams. What factors would facilitate their confidence in success and how to recover quickly from failures? The national football team in China is always a disappointing topic. It seems to be cursed to fail every time. But the electronic sports teams are quite different. They tend to have stronger collective efficacy to win. It's interesting to explore the mechanisms in different cooperative team works. How self-efficacy and collective efficacy function in each of these situations? 

To create a multi-diverse learning environment, it might need to create opportunities for students to learn individually, cooperatively, formally and informally. So the thing I wish to explore is when, why and how people would activate their agency in developing self-efficacy and collective efficacy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment