Wednesday, February 27, 2019

How to develop goals in Collective Efficacy?

" When we recall what we are destined to do in this life, it would recover ourselves; when we recall what the human beings are destined to do in this world, it would make us save the world from now on." I came across this from a book several years ago, at Edinburgh. I did not fully understand it, but I began to question the meaning of the things which I was engaging with every day.

Before I went there, I worked at a company in Guangzhou, China. Every day's life was quite busy and my colleagues spent lots of time in doing the job that they had no love in it. Managers argued with each other about how to make more profit. The general manager tried so hard to let everyone understand the company's culture, mission as well as goals. Each of us could notice that information on bulletin boards clearly and we even need to take exams. (I made those boards and test questions..) I felt like it wouldn't work since everyone had their own life focus. Work is merely a way to earn money and to support the family. To motivate the morale, the manager also generated many reward mechanisms. But it still did not work for the whole development of the company. I would say that many of the colleagues are actually very intelligent when they engaged in their work individually. They hold different expertise in their fields, like marketing, finance, designing etc. But every time, when people from different departments came together, the efficiency of working is reduced largely. To achieve collective learning or working was really difficult even though each of them possesses distinguished skills and was notified about each goal of the company. 

But at Edinburgh, I once observed an educational round table meeting in the parliament of Scotland as a course requirement. To reach an agreement in policy, people discussed educational issues from different perspectives based on various researches. When I searched about educational department website, I was amazed by the details of each policy. Later on, through visiting history museums, I realized that there was a bloody history for Scotland people to fight for freedom and democracy. That might be the reason they cherish freedom and democracy so much no matter how British people would say they are so poor. 

Referring to collective efficacy, I'm thinking of what culture, value and goals could really bring people together and achieve collective learning. If we say successful experiences and high level of expertise could play their part very well in self-efficacy, then what factors could help a group of people achieve success and then develop collective efficacy? Especially, what kinds of goals would be efficient in collective efficacy and how to generate those goals?






No comments:

Post a Comment