Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Mindset and Self-efficacy

Towards the end of class last week, Dweck's mindset theory (or implicit theories of intelligence as she originally referred to them) came up in discussion. Michael seemed a little perturbned by this, especially because Dweck was a student of Bandura. I found this interesting because I've read a lot of Dweck's stuff and she rarely, if ever, cites Bandura. Is there a logical flow from self-efficacy to mindset?

Additionally, for one of my other classes, I've been working on a model with mindsets and effort beliefs as predictors of the cognitive and metacognitive strategies that college students use. I've been trying to place self-efficacy within this model, but I'm not sure where it should go:


Basically, I'm wondering would self-efficacy being something that predicts someone's mindset, so would it go all the way to the left of this model? Or is it more likely that self-efficacy mediates the relationship between these various motivational beliefs and different strategy usage and therefore be somewhere between the effort beliefs and the strategy use?

More broadly, I'm wondering whether self-efficacy is seen as a foundational belief from which most other motivational variables would derive from, or is more likely that self-efficacy plays as a mediator?

1 comment:

  1. Ryan, Interesting chart! I'm curious the difference in the orange, green and red colored arrows. Considering your question, it seems to me that self-efficacy plays more of a mediator role than a foundational belief from which other variables would derive... at least for the Positive/Negative Effort Beliefs. Self-efficacy seems to be a self-perpetuating cycle based on experiences... set into motion by various motivations. I do not know enough about each of your squares (mindsets, belief and strategies)... but, could self-efficacy be a result of some of the boxes? For example, various mindsets could propel a person to enter the self-efficacy cycle. I would enjoy discussing in class; just sharing a few "inexperienced" thoughts.

    ReplyDelete