Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Why do we need self-efficacy?

During our previous discussions, it seems that self-efficacy comes from successful experiences and it aims to create more success. But what if there were more failures and obstacles, what factors could still keep a person in high self-efficacy? We've talked about values, motivations, and outcome expectations etc. And Ryan posted another factor mindset on this week's post. I'm imaging what's the key factors for each of us to keep high self-efficacy in something or the reason why we have low self-efficacy on another thing. For me, I feel that I could succeed in anything if I do not set any expectations for the outcome or for other people's comments. It may sound like an escape from difficulties... But anyway I feel like I need to set some good mood before I start doing the task. I usually tend to read novels which could make me feel better whenever I encounter distress. I do think it works for me to improve self-efficacy in anything. But since I've started working and academic learning, I seldom have the time to enjoy reading itself, which lead me into lower self-efficacy sometimes. So I'm thinking that the key factor for me to keep high self-efficacy is merely to have a good mood for myself, rather than values, motivation, outcomes etc. But they are still important, without them, I may probably settle in my comfort zone and wouldn't jump out of the private reading time.

Different from Robin, my attitude toward success is more inner-oriented. I care much about other people's comments or appraisals. But I don't consider them to be the sole factors that influence the evaluation of my performance. Since I usually don't like setting goals or expectations from outside standards, I prefer to manipulate my comfortable zone by myself. It is not safe for me to rely on other peoples' opinions. Since most often the judgment from outside could not truly reveal my efforts or values in doing something. If I do not value something, I could have high self-efficacy and achieve it successfully, but it does not mean the success would make me feel happy or more motivated. On the contrary, when I value something, it seems that there is no meaning to talk about success or self-efficacy. Since the only thing I need is merely to do it. No expectations on the outcome and thus there is no success. For example, when I finished a novel, it would be weird to say I succeed in reading it and there is an increase of self-efficacy in reading another novel. But relating back to work, the situation changes. To enjoy more achievement, I have to set a higher standard and wish the outcome could bring other people's appraisal. But the comfort zone is broken and I couldn't enjoy the inner peace.  I think this is damageable to my self-efficacy in anything. The whole point is to achieve success, I may run a risk of losing self-efficacy.


3 comments:

  1. I think you bring up a really pertinent point by saying that value has a completely different underlying tone to it when it comes to the reason that you do something and whether solely self-efficacy can explain it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm thinking that there might be many different contexts when we talk about those terms.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete